What the Communications Intern will be responsible for:
- Assist with game day/night operations, including preparing media credentials and setting up all media operations areas and distributing statistics, among other responsibilities.
- Assist with the production of the media guide and other department materials.
- Participate in planning, setting up and controlling all aspects of press conferences.
- Prepare and deliver advance packets to the team hotel the day prior to all games (including weekends).
- Attend community relations and other events as needed as the public relations representative.
- Write press releases as needed and follow through with the editing/distribution process.
- Responsible for keeping and updating team statistics during NBA season.
- Assist with compilation of news clippings from local, national and international news media & the Internet.
- Assist with the game-day program by writing articles and feature stories.
- Office/administration duties, including data entry, answering phones, copying, filing and faxing, moving boxes.
- Makes decisions with little or no choice as to the methods and procedures used in achieving results.
- All other duties as assigned.
What the Communications Intern needs to have:
- Post Grad (recent college graduates within 18 months of graduation) or graduate-level college students required.
- Sports management, public relations, communications and journalism or related majors preferred.
- Basketball knowledge required.
- Excellent writing and communication skills required.
- Previous SID experience preferred.
- Proficient in InDesign, Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel, Word and other related computer skills required.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Strong organizational skills, time management skills and attention to detail required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with an emphasis on AP writing skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks/projects and support multiple high levelexecutive positions.
- Ability to work independently without supervision, be self-directed and demonstrate initiative.
- Ability to take direction without follow up.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others for whom you have no direct supervisory authority.
- Strong teamwork and team synergy skills required.
- Excellent ability to establish rapport with others and ability to build strong interpersonal relationships.
- Exhibit good judgment and decision-making skills.
- Availability and willingness to work extended hours, including nights and weekends and be on-call as necessary.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule based on the changing priorities of the department.
What we offer you:
Compensation and Benefits:
- Minimum wage plus overtime
- Use of RDV Sportsplex, state of the art athletic club access
- Game tickets during Magic season (as available)
- 40% discount on Orlando Magic merchandise
- Medical coverage option
- Relocation and housing expenses are the responsibility of the intern
- Reliable transportation is also needed
- Office Hours – M-F, 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
- Each internship supervisor dictates hours
- Most Interns work all game nights (44 home games + playoffs and finals) including weekends and holidays
- Culture built on Community, Innovation, Legendary and Teamwork!
The Orlando Magic are not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at the Orlando Magic via-email, the internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Orlando Magic HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of the Orlando Magic. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by the Orlando Magic as a result of the referral or through other means.
The Orlando Magic is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), sexual orientation, parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, any other non-merit based factor or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Our leadership team is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities and general treatment during employment. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm